This accessibility statement applies to www.bsdc.ac.uk.
This website is run by Burton and South Derbyshire College. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Our website banners aren’t fully accessible
- Live video streams do not have captions
- Most of the bright colours used on the courses section do not meet the minimum contrast ratios
- The contact page contains a form but there is no submit button (a normal button is used).
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- call 01283 494400
We’ll consider your request and get back to you as soon as possible.
If you cannot view the map on our ‘contact us’ page, call or email us on 01283 494400 for directions.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Burton and South Derbyshire College is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances and exemptions listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
1.2.2 Captions (Pre-recorded)
Captions will need to be provided for all videos (for example the case study videos hosted on Vimeo). The Vimeo player we use will show captions where available.
1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum)
Most of the bright colours used on the courses section do not meet the minimum contrast ratios.
We are currently working on changing the design of these pages so the colours can be used in a more accessible manner.
3.2.2 On Input, 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value
The contact page (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/contact-us) contains a form but there is no submit button (a normal button is used). The form should be provided with a submit button to maximize predictability.
This form is controlled by the plugin (Breezing Forms) so we don’t have control over the HTML output and are unable to change the button type. Redeveloping the form is outside the scope of this project.
The plugin is kept up to date and will change the button type if the option becomes available in the future.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and documents
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents do not meet accessibility standards – for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will aim to meet accessibility standards.
We are working on new ways of presenting our website banners on the home page to improve accessibility.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We are working hard to improve on any issues and our accessibility compliance is reviewed regularly.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 31st July 2020. It was last reviewed on 3rd September 2020.
This website was last tested on 15th January 2020. The test was carried out by Cyber Media.
How we tested the website
Cyber Media selected a sample of pages to test based on average use, volume of traffic and content type. They tested the following pages as they contain our main features used across the site:
- Homepage (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/)
- Content page (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/about-us)
- Subject listing (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/explore/subject)
- Subject page (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/index.php?Itemid=155)
- Course listing (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/explore/course)
- Course (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/explore/course/view/25/1924)
- News listing (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/news)
- News article (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/news/760-students-get-to-grips-with-tyre-safety-at-pirelli)
- Events listing (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/events)
- Event article (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/events/729-winter-menu-4)
- Landing page (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/higher-education-at-bsdc)
- Document listing (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/student-life/uniform/)
- Contact form (https://www.bsdc.ac.uk/contact-us)
The site was tested using a combination of automated tools and manual testing