The Burton and South Derbyshire College Skills Promise has been developed to ensure that our learners leave their learning with not only an industry recognised qualification, but be job ready with the transferable skills needed to make an impact in their chosen industry or profession.
- What is a Connect Industry Hub?Industry Hubs are designed to ensure all Burton and South Derbyshire College learners are prepared to make the smooth transition from education to employment. Learners will follow a journey of learning that includes a programme of employer engagement activities. This unique combination of learning and employer engagement ensures that our learners gain the skills, behaviours and knowledge employers need from young people in the workplace. The Connect Industry Hub will enable learners to experience a variety of employer led activities throughout the year which enhances their learning, develops their employability skills and knowledge of the sector.
- What do Connect Industry Hubs look like?
Evidence consistently shows that employers are concerned about key skills gaps within British industry. Surveys have highlighted a lack of employability skills amongst school leavers and employers have said the development of employability skills in young people should be one of the top priorities for education. The Skills Boards are made up of a group of employers, stakeholders, College staff and learner representatives. The purpose is to examine the skills, knowledge, attitudes and attributes required from young people who gain employment in the sector. The employer boards meet four times a year and plan a programme of activities to help learners gain the attributes through a variety of practical tasks.
- How can I contribute to the Connect Industry Hubs?
- Mentoring - Our Mentors help our learners understand the world of work by giving advice and guidance to small groups or occasionally on a one-to one basis. Whether this is by phone, email or face to face, they can shape a young person’s thinking by acting as a sounding board for discussing their course work, career aspirations, workplace conduct and employability skills, while increasing their network of contacts. Mentors act as role models to shape the future career of the learners.
- Industry Talks - Can you talk to learners about the world of work, your own career experience, CV writing, interview techniques or what you need to succeed in employment? Industry speakers have the chance to inspire our learners by giving an insight into a particular industry or role.
- Industry Visit - Learners benefit from getting behind the scenes in local businesses. It raises their confidence as they learn to interact in a different environment to college. Visits can show our learners how they are expected to conduct themselves in a work environment. Visits to your place of work can also involve more of your workforce as they can conduct the tour, set up simulations for learners to work on or take part in mock interviews.
- Industry Projects - Learners achieve more when they have a real-life scenario to get their teeth into. We encourage organisations to work with our curriculum staff to set up projects either in College, in a real work environment or out in the community. Projects can range from half a day to long term ongoing tasks. Our tutors will work alongside your team to ensure tasks run smoothly and safely.
- Industry Placements - Industry placements involve a 45-60 day placement in a relevant role with an employer. Go to our Industry Placement page for more details.
- Work Experience - Work experience gives our learners the chance to gain hands-on experience of the working world and can be invaluable preparation for a chosen career. Go to our Work Experience page for more details.
- Supported Internship - A Supported Internship is a structured programme of study undertaken by a young person aged 16-24 with learning difficulties or disabilities who has a real desire to work. Go to our Supported Internships page for more details.
To find out more, or to discuss any other requirements for training and support for your business, contact us on: