Our flexible grants allow you to shape the support you receive to meet your individual needs.
The following grants are available:
Learners travelling by public transport, car, moped or motorcycle will receive a maximum contribution of £390 in the Staffordshire area and £495 for any other area.
To be eligible to apply for our support grants, you must be:
- 16, 17 or 18 years of age on the 31st August
- Enrolled on a full or part-time Government funded course of Further Education
- Have ‘home’ student status or have been granted full ‘refugee’ or asylum seeker’ status (British Citizens normally have ‘home student’ status)
- Have been ‘ordinarily resident' in the UK, EU or EEA continuously for the last 3 years before the start of your course, with ‘settled status’ which means having indefinite leave to enter or remain (ILE/ILR)
In addition, you should meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Child Tax Credits with an annual gross income of no more than £16,190 (for one dependent) or £19,999 (for two or more dependents) as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (including Working Tax Credits).
- A dependant of someone who is in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit
- A dependant of someone who is in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- A dependant of someone who is in receipt of the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- A dependant of someone who is in receipt of support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Don’t meet the eligibility criteria but still need help?
Don’t worry, if you have a genuine financial need but do not meet the eligibility criteria, you may still apply for support. You will be required to write and submit a short statement detailing your exceptional circumstances and provide any appropriate supporting evidence. Awards under exceptional circumstances are made on a case by case basis at the discretion of the Learner Services Team Leader, and do not set a precedent for other awards. Speak to a member of our Financial Support Team for further information.