A group of adult learners during a lesson

Our flexible grants allow you to shape the support you receive to meet your individual needs. 

The following grants are available:

  • Travel 
  • Kit/Uniform
  • Trips/Visits
  • AAT Membership/Books
  • Exam Tuition
  • Childcare

Learners travelling by public transport, car, moped or motorcycle will receive a maximum contribution of £390 in the Staffordshire area and £495 for any other area. 

  • Eligibility

    Awards will be made on a case by case basis, and do not set a precedent for other awards. To be eligible to apply for our support grants, you must be:

    • Aged 19 years of age or over on the 31st August
    • Enrolled on a full or part time Government funded course of Further Education
    • Not funding their studies using an Advanced Learner Loan (See Advanced Learner Loans)
    • Have ‘home’ student status or have been granted full ‘refugee’ or asylum seeker’ status (British Citizens normally have ‘home student’ status)
    • Have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK, EU or EEA continuously for the last 3 years before the start of your course, with ‘settled status’ which means having indefinite leave to enter or remain (ILE/ILR)

    In addition, you should meet one of the following eligibility criteria:

    • Living independently and in receipt of one or more of the following benefits in your own right, or are living with a partner or spouse who is in receipt of one or more of the following benefits, with an identified financial need:

     - Income Support or Universal Credit
     - Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
     - Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
     - Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
     - The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
     - Child Tax Credits with an annual gross income of no more than £17,076 (for one dependent) or £19,999 (for two or more dependents) as assessed by Her Majesty’s  - Revenue and Customs (including Working Tax Credits).
     - Working Tax Credit run-on which is paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit

    • Living independently or with a partner or spouse, claiming no benefits, with a gross household income of less than £16,190 and an identified financial need.
    • Currently living with parents or carers but is expected to be financially independent, with a personal gross income of less than £10,000 and an identified financial need

  • Don’t meet the eligibility criteria but still need help?

    Don’t worry, if you have a genuine financial need but do not meet the eligibility criteria, you may still apply for support. You will be required to write and submit a short statement detailing your exceptional circumstances and provide any appropriate supporting evidence. Awards under exceptional circumstances are made on a case by case basis, at the discretion of the Learner Services and Support Manager, and do not set a precedent for other awards. Speak to a member of our Financial Support Team for further information.

  • Contact us

    For more information and advice about the Advanced Learner Loan, please call our Financial Support Team on 01283 494757/4472 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Contact Details

Contact Details

Burton and South Derbyshire College
Tel: 01283 494400

Town Centre Campus

Burton Town Centre Campus, Lichfield Street, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire DE14 3RL

Stephen Burke Construction Academy

Construction Academy, 21 Tetron Point, William Nadin Way, Swadlincote, Derbyshire DE11 OBB