Not sure if you can afford to study? At BSDC, we’re doing all we can to make learning accessible to everyone as we believe our learners should be able to enjoy their time at college without the worry of whether they can meet the costs incurred as a result of studying.
Applications for support during 2021 to 2022 academic year open on Monday 21st June 2021.
The deadline for new applications is Friday 15th April 2022.
- What can we help you with?
We provide a range of bursaries and grants which can provide support for:
- Travel (travel contributions, concessionary bus passes or Cycle2College scheme) for those living more than three miles from their main campus
- Equipment, uniform, work wear (including shoes and boots) - for information on the kit and uniform requirements for your chosen subject, please click here!
- Art and design materials
- Printing and copying
- Trips and visits
- Text books and/ or revision guides
- Meals while you are at College - a continuation of School Free Meals for those eligible.
- Emergency grants and loans for those experiencing unexpected financial crisis.
- Additional support for those that are Looked After or in Care (LAC), Care Leavers (CL) or those aged 16-18 who may be living independently and in receipt of means tested benefits.
- Examination and tuition fees (adult learners aged 19 or over only)
- Professional memberships (adult learners aged 19 or over only)
Please note that our grants and bursaries are discretionary and support is subject to the availability of funds and therefore cannot be guaranteed.
We do not offer residential support or contributions towards accommodation costs.
- What do we offer?
We offer confidential information and advice to help you manage your money and apply for financial assistance, which includes:
- Hardship and Childcare Funding
- Enhanced Bursary for “vulnerable” learners aged 16 to 18
- Discretionary Bursary for learners aged 16 to 18
- Care to Learn for learners aged 16 to 18
- Discretionary Adult Learner Support Fund (DALSf) for those aged 19 or over
- Advanced Loans Bursary Fund (ALBf) for those funding studies using an Advanced Learner Loan only.
- Advanced Learner Loans (Further Education)
- Student Finance (Higher Education)
We also promote and offer information, advice and guidance on a number of Burton Consolidated Charities (www.consolidatedcharityburton.org.uk) Higher Education Bursaries, Education Grants and Emergency Funds.
- Get in touch
Call us: 01283 494757 or 01283 494472
Visit us: Chat to our Financial Support Coordinator in the Learner Hub at our Burton town centre campus or our Learner Services Team at Stephen Burke Construction Academy.
Opening hours: You can drop-in to speak to one of our advisors Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 1.00pm. Appointments are available on a Monday to Thursday between 2.30pm to 4.30pm. Fridays are strictly by appointment only. To make an appointment please call or email.
- Online resources
The National Careers Service advisers can help identify where you might access this funding and for which courses. The National Careers Service can be contacted by calling 0800 100 900 if you wish to discuss this further or alternatively use web chat by visiting nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/webchat/chat.
If you are experiencing financial difficulties or crisis the Money Advice Service (moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en) or Step Change (stepchange.org) can provide free and impartial money advice and support on debt management.