Burton and South Derbyshire College aspires to be a vibrant and outstanding education, skills and training provider. We aim to support individuals from school age to retirement to be highly skilled, effective and motivated contributors to industry, the economy, the community and their families; as well as supporting the organisations that employ them both now and in the future.
Our mission is about fulfilling potential and, as part of that approach, we are dedicated to providing high quality HE provision to all. The College has an excellent reputation for widening access to higher education.
We aim to:
- Prepare the future work force so that young people become economically and socially independent as well as effective contributors to their employers and to the community.
- Enable existing members of the workforce to develop in a way which furthers their careers and positively impacts the organisations that they work for now and those they will work for and lead in the future.
- Support adults who require new direction for many reasons to overcome their personal challenges and re-enter or retire from the workforce in a way which is relevant, satisfying and impactful for their lives as well as those around them.
- Encourage individuals who have never had educational or social opportunities to take their first steps to participation and achievement.
To do this we will:
- Provide opportunities for seamless progression for students who might otherwise not be able to successfully access higher education due to a range of barriers including social and emotional, cost and financial implications or lack of support.
- Raise aspirations by providing opportunities for students to study higher education in a learning environment that is supportive and inclusive.
- Provide students with a range of educational opportunities which enables them to develop the knowledge, behaviour and skills required to progress to higher level skilled employment.
- Provide students with an opportunity to study from Level 3 to Level 6.
- Develop relationships with local and regional businesses with the purpose of introducing Higher Apprenticeship pathways in order to support skills shortages.
To read our full Access and Participation Plan, go to the downloads box on this page.