Completed your first Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 course, but decided that you want to go in a different career direction? Don’t let that hold you back from enrolling on your desired course! If you’re aged 19 years or over, you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan to fund your tuition fees. Don’t worry, you won’t need to pay a penny back until you have finished your course and you can afford it.
Please apply online for financial support via the following link:
You are eligible if:
- You are aged 19 or older on the first day of your course
- You are studying in England, with an education provider in receipt of a loan facility
- You are studying one or more approved learning aim at Levels 3, 4, 5, or 6
In most cases, all of the following must apply. You must:
- Be living in the UK on the first day of your course
- Have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
- Be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (this means there are no restrictions on how long you can stay)
For further information on wider eligibility criteria, please visit:
You can check your eligibility here:
- How they work
If you are aged 19 or over, you can apply for Advanced Learner Loans on Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 courses. If you are aged 19-23, the Advanced Learner Loan does not replace your entitlement to complete your first full Level 3 course where applicable; it covers any additional Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 courses that you wish to enrol on.
You are entitled to access up to four loans, but you can only get one loan at a time.
The amount of money available to you depends on the course that you are studying. The minimum that can be borrowed is £300 and it’s easy to apply as there is no credit check, no upper age limit, and your household income isn’t taken it account.
You won’t have to pay anything back until you’ve completed your course. Repayments are based on your income and won’t begin until your income is over £27,295 a year (salary equivalent to £524 a week or £2,274 a month gross).
For more information about repaying your loan, please visit http://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan.
- Will I be eligible for any other financial support?
If you are supporting your studies through an Advanced Learner Loan, we may be able to assist you with costs incurred whilst studying such as additional learning support childcare or travel to and from college.
You can apply for an Advanced Loans Bursary Fund if you are funding your course with an approved Advanced Learner Loan and you are living on a low income or in receipt of a means tested benefit.
Find out more on our 19+ financial support website page.
- Does the loan only cover the tuition fees?
Yes. The Advanced Learner Loan is for tuition fees only. Any additional examination or awarding body registration fees are the responsibility of the learner to pay on enrolment.
- Do I get the money in full?
No. The Student Loans Company will pay your agreed tuition fees direct to the College in equal instalments. The minimum loan you can take out is £300. You can take out the full cost of the tuition fee or you can pay part of the tuition fee yourself.
- Does getting a loan depend on my income or credit history?
No. Getting a loan doesn't depend on your income and credit checks aren't carried out.
- Is there an upper age limit for someone applying for a loan?
No. There’s no upper age limit.
- What will I need?
When making your application, you will require your Funding Information Letter, National Insurance Number, valid UK Passport or UK Birth Certificate. You will also need a valid email address and access to a printer.